July 23rd - Early that morning I left the rental house that all of us Bridesmaids had stayed in the night of the Bachelorette party and headed home. I got ready for our rehearsal that morning and headed with Thomas, Johnny & Luis to the church. Luis freaked out (probably squealed) when I informed him that Tony & Sarah were getting married in the same chapel that Jessica Simpson got married in.
I got to practice my song with Jack, which was nice because I had yet to sing it out loud! What was more nerve-wracking for the guys was the fact that they were going to be singing their song all together for the first time. It was Johnny, Buddy, Mr. Matt, Jack, Luis, & Scott Saunders. They sang a mash-up of "I'm Yours" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." So good. SO SO SO SO SOOOOO GOOD. What was also good was the fact that I kept popping in while they were practicing to yell, "CAUSE BABY YOU'RE A FIREWORRRRK!" (Which was Luis's suggestion for songs Sarah should walk down the aisle to.)

The Bridesmaids at the Wedding Rehearsal at The Smith Family Chapel

Just hangin' out

The Bridesmaids (in particular the former LHS girls, Stefanie, Sarah & me) watching the LHS boys sing. It may or may not have brought us to tears...

Afterwards we headed over to The County Line for some DELICIOUS BBQ! :)
I believe I went home and took a nap and later on that night we headed up to a little church where we had a prayer and worship thing for Tony and Sarah. We sang some songs (well, they sang songs... I'm only well-versed in songs found in the Gather hymnal... i.e., "On Eagles Wings" or "I Am The Bread of Life") but the best part came later. We were asked in advance to have a scripture or some words of advice for the soon-to-be married couple.
I'm pretty sure ALL of them did have a scripture. The week leading up to this, I had tried looking stuff up. Every time I found something that I thought might work, it seemed... disingenuous. Back in high school, when I was a YAC member (YAC = Youth Ambassadors for Christ = Diocesan youth council for Galveston-Houston... yeah, I was kind of a big deal), I still was never much for quoting the Bible. This might have something to do with the fact that my first 15 or so years of Bible-ing was in Vietnamese.
Anyway, I finally get up there and I have to hold back tears... and I remind Sarah of the time when I dramatically told her how much she meant to me right before my last show with her. I told her how for me, on this earth, I try to "find God" in everyday things... in her case... she is God personified. Is that sacrilegious? Possibly, but I don't know.
Anyway, I reminded everyone how much music means to me and how I chose some lyrics instead of a scripture... but since that's how I think God speaks to me... it's kind of the same thing :) I chose part of the second verse of the Regina Spektor song "On The Radio." Check it:
This is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again
No comments:
Post a Comment