So here we are, a chapter dedicated to the truth about carbohydrates:
1. Simple Carbs-BAD: There are two types. The ones you want to stay away from are the simple ones. "They are mostly made up of sugar, which releases too quickly, almost violently, into our bodies, causing 'sugar highs' and then 'crashes.' This tends to leave us feeling hungry, so we eat more." Well that effing explains it. What foods are simple carbs? WHITE foods. I don't mean foods that white people eat (although a lot of it IS), but I mean white foods like, white flour, paster, bread, rice... sugar (duh, right?) Basically these foods have been bastardized to the point where all of their nutrients have been taken out. For example, "... they took natural grains, like brown rice and whole wheat, and stripped away all their nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to achieve the color and texture change." Don't be fooled, though. Some companies try to add said nutrients back in and call them enriched or fortified. Our bodies know the difference. It's not the same.

This is not what I mean when I said "white bread"
2. Complex Carbs-GOOD: Then we have the complex carbs, which have other things in it like starch and fiber. These things are released into our body as energy at a more steady pace... and therefor we don't get the highs and crashes. So what are some foods with complex carbs? "Bask in the glory of potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, barley, corn, brown rice, beans, hummus, lentils, quinoa... millet, and pasta made from brown rice, whole wheat, or vegetables." Key: WHOLE WHEAT, WHOLE GRAINS!!!!

Yes plz!
3. Fruit: EAT FRUIT! They're basically badass. Not only should you eat fruit, you should eat it first thing in the morning when you've still got an empty stomach. (Apparently if you eat it with other foods it can't be digested as well... which means it "rots and ferments"--YAY!--in your belly). Anyway, eat it first thing in the morning and you'll get a boost of energy in the morning! This is particularly great for me since I am REALLY BAD at eating food in the morning (breakfast was just never my thing). So if I eat some fruit or make a fruit slushie (just throw some frozen fruit and water or juice in a blender and voila! Instant yumminess!), I get some energy and a jumpstart for my metabolism!

Yes, these guys are good for you
Hope some of this helped? Like my last post, kind of obvious... but it's helped me a bit! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment