
[Spoiler alert! I try not to spoil much--but I'm certain I will, so don't read if you don't want to know!]
Overall it's a good read. I've always liked the movie. I also knew that there were parallels with (basically the book was loosely based on) Pride & Prejudice. P&P is still fairly fresh in my mind so I was able to see the likenesses & differences. I think this made me like Bridget Jones's Diary so much more!
Bridget's mom (mum?) is the most ridiculous character ever. In essence, she is Lydia & Mrs. Bennett rolled up into one outrageously... ridiculous (for lack of a better term) person. She is sometimes so unbelievably annoying that I was thankful for my mom not being as ridiculous (so, that tells you a lot about Pam Jones).
As far as the book goes, it's pretty similar to the movie. One of the things that the book emphasizes a lot more would be the friendship between Bridget, Shazzer, Jude & Tom. She obsessed a lot more about her weight, but then again, I guess there are just so many more times you can do that in a book than you can on film.
One thing I noticed and loved was that in the book, they actually mention Hugh Grant AND Colin Firth, both men who starred in the movie. The best thing about Colin Firth is that he played Mr. Darcy in the BBC version of P&P (the reason he was mentioned in the book), and he was pretty much who Fielding wrote Mark Darcy's character after: Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy.
Anyway, overall, good book. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. One thing I did enjoy about it was it's honesty. Bridget is a bit neurotic, but I guess that's how most women in their 30s who are single are. I don't know. Haven't been there myself, but I can at least understand where she's coming from most of the time. There are many times when I cringe while reading something she's done... like making a phone call to a man when she definitely should've just left it alone...
Good read--will soon be reading the sequel, "Edge of Reason" :)
No comments:
Post a Comment