Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Symptoms of Love" by Robert Graves

Love is a universal migraine,
A bright stain on the vision
Blotting out reason.

Symptoms of true love
Are leanness, jealousy,
Laggard dawns;

Are omens and nightmares--
Listening for a knock,
Waiting for a sign:

For a touch of her fingers
In a darkened room,
For a searching look.

Take courage, lover!
Could you endure such grief
At any hand but hers?


* * *

If I had to pick one poem in my book of love poems that fully encapsulates my relationship with Thomas, it would be this one by Robert Graves. Robert Graves, by the way is the person who wrote I, Claudius (or I, CLAVDIVS, as Ryan Cobb used to always say). To most people this will mean nothing. To any of my friends (who don't read this blog) from Mr. Golenko's Latin class, that means the world.

Happy Anniversary Thomas! Spending 1 out of 3 anniversaries together ain't so bad! At least we didn't flat out forget like last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment