Friday, February 5, 2010

A blog in six words. Period.

Okay, this blog will not be in six words. Last night, armed with yet another 33% off coupon at Borders, I went to the bookstore in hopes of finding love. Actually, love poems. I decided I wanted to read some good love poems. There's actually one book I really want to get, but seeing as how I'm fairly happy in love, I don't think it's 100% appropriate for me. It's called The Hell With Love and it's poetry for the broken heart.

Anyway, in the same book aisle as that, I found the anthology section. The Best American Short Stories, etc. I'll eventually get there, but I didn't want to burden myself with a big book while I currently have a big book to finish reading. (In honor of February, aka Black History Month, I'm reading Martin Luther King, Jr.'s autobiography. It's hefty.) I found two little books. Not Quite What I Was Planning and the book that the same editors later did, Six-word Memoirs on Love & Hate. Both are books contained of six-word memoirs. Entire lives summed up into six words. This all stemmed from Ernest Hemingway's six-word story that he was once challenged to write. The outcome?

"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn."

Go ahead and try to tell me that's not the saddest six-word thing you've ever read in your entire life. How did he say so much in so little? I can't even say that much given an unlimited amount of words.

Anyway, after Clark and I did some discussing on this, I realized that I think I would like to do certain blogs in six words only. (I was excited in realizing that my blog title/tagline already consisted of six words: "Another Blog: Nothing special. Just me.") Then I figured that my Obvious/Thomas blogs could consist of only six words. Clark gave me the example for yesterday of, "Thomas doesn't snort coke, thank God."

I think we are onto something!

2 comments:

  1. i love it. can i try it too?

    and ur previous blog entry.. WTF :( biatch!

    ReplyDelete