Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Weekend of Projects!

12/11 - This weekend we had my sister Chi Thu and Javier come into town.  Javier helped Mike (and Thomas did too!) redo their shed in their back yard.  I, on the other hand, had my own project to work on:

I had been wanting to do one of these crayon melty art things ever since I first saw one of my Anthro girlfriends do it over the summer.  I figured, it'd be simple enough!  The one she did was just colors on a blank white canvas.  I decided I wanted to add a little flavor to mine.

I picked some of my favorite lyrics... that somehow symbolically would work well with the crayons.  I chose lyrics from the song, "Rain" by Patty Griffin:  "Strange how it rains now"  I put some foam cut-out letters onto the canvas and then painted black over it.  Once dried, I peeled off the letters to get the white letters you see below!

Then I put the colors in the color order desired.  I chose not to start with the traditional red to indigo scale... I wanted to go from warm colors, to cool, and back to warm.  :)  I think my colors worked well!  Hot glue gunning each crayon onto the canvas was a bit tedious, but you got the hang of it after awhile.  Then after making sure the crayons were nice and glued... I took my blow dryer and blow dried the crap outta these crayons.  I did it in waves... mostly because I got tired... but I think it gave it a really nice pattern.  You can tell where I stopped and started again because there's a significant break in color blobs!  I feel like it well represents the "when it rains it pours" idea... once you think it's over... here's another wave of crap.

Other favorite lyric from this song: 
"I'm not looking for the rest of your life
I just want another chance to live..."

Soon you'll probably see one that Amber and I made together!

No comments:

Post a Comment