Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LASA Students Make Me Feel Inadequate

I'm subbing for another class at LASA today. I'm not 100% sure what class this is. It was listed as english, but the classes are Intro to Human... (-ities? I'm not sure because this is all that printed out) and AP Psychology (Who took psychology in high school???) Anyway, some of them are just reading their books. One girl was reading the Iliad. I asked her if she's reading it for fun or for Latin (I was about to Latin nerd all over her). She said she's reading it for English, it's one of their required readings that the entire 10th grade had to read. ENTIRE 10th GRADE! THE ILIAD! I asked her what else they had to read and she said The Odyssey and Metamorphoses. I've never. I mean, as a Latin nerd, I of course know the basics of these books... but I've never SAT DOWN AND READ THEM. The books we had to read Sophomore year were Fahrenheit 451 (which we read in 8th grade), Lord of the Flies (stupid conch shell!), Silas Marner (I think I liked that one), The Crucible... not necessarily BAD, but it wasn't exactly The Iliad, The Odyssey or Metamorphoses!

2 comments:

  1. Intro to Humanities! Cool. And Silas Marner is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're reading Greek stuff now, too. But of course, on a diff level (We read Demeter & Persephone today)...Mel, you shouldn't feel "inadequate", since you read more than most people I know! Plus, you are well-rounded and have 4 jobs. :)

    ReplyDelete