Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent

Grade: A

[Spoilers: DUH]

This was a really good book. Johnny gave it to me for Christmas. I had heard some things on this book, but didn't really know details and didn't even know the name of the book--so I couldn't even get it for myself even if I wanted to.

Now knowing Johnny, and knowing the kind of person that he is, I knew that this book was going to be good. It was probably going to be semi-life changing. It was. But it did have a surprise element that I did NOT expect.

It's SUPER Christian. I mean, it's REALLY REALLY Christian--verging (or maybe even full-on, I haven't decided) on Evangelistic. Now I'm not saying that Johnny is some kind of hedonistic anti-Christ, because he definitely isn't and he definitely embodies many of the ideals that good people (Christian or not) typically have. That being said, Johnny isn't and never was (despite his brief stint in Catholic school) Christian. So it really surprised me when the book took the Christian turn. I was almost sure that it was going to go the way of "I had the Lord, and then I lost the Lord, but then I found solace in people, like this homeless dude."

But no. It just kept going. God this and God that. They didn't over do it. I found that I took comfort in THEIR comfort in God. They were tried time and time again and their faith (for the most part) persisted and their friendship grew. The book is full of one big downer, and it broke my heart. Completely broke my heart. So much so that I was caught on the elliptical reading and crying and running and wiping snot and tears off my face. It was a good feeling. :) I enjoyed the book a LOT. I enjoyed that it was set in Texas. In one of the chapters, you learn that Ron Hall was present in downtown Dallas during the JFK assassination. I go through phases of being a little obsessed with the history of that day. Right Thomas? RIGHT?

Okay, I think that's all I'm going to say about that. It was a good book, I recommend it. Christian or not--don't let it deter you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment