Choir students never want to stand when they're asked to and they never sit quietly when they're asked to. They rarely hold up their music the way they're supposed to and in turn do not sing out like they should with great posture. Choir students are chatty and think that it's social hour. Choir students try to USE THEIR CELL PHONE in the middle of class when they obviously shouldn't have it out. Choir students think they know better than their teacher and argue about little changes that the director may make.
The only difference between my choirs and the choirs I've been in (and the one that creates a HUGE LINE between loving and hating something) is that MY choir students are 10-14 years old... and... we were 18-22. We should've known better. Like, seriously.
I think back to all those times when Arlie just stared at us in disbelief that we were still talking and I literally can't get my mind around it. Here we were, adults, young adults, but adults nevertheless, blatantly disrespecting someone that (whether we liked him/her or not) deserved our respect if we wanted to be a successful choir. I have to spout this rhetoric to my students all the time but I understand that they're young and they don't quite understand the consequences of their actions. We definitely were NOT too young to know that if we waste a whole class period talking, we end up having terrible songs like... Spinning Wheel, Neutron Dance, or Walking on Sunshine. I'm about 101% positive there are more, but those are just songs that I remember really REALLY hating.
I remember one class when Arlie just walked out and said she was leaving after trying to warm us up (and we didn't shut up). We all cried foul, shook our fists, and didn't understand why she was being a drama queen. We decided that we would get work done without her (after all, we DID have Jack). But now I totally get it. We were total jerks. Seriously. Who did we think we were?
Had a rough day with the 6th grade boys today. Excuses, excuses, excuses. I guess I'm just thinking
I saw the title of this post and my jaw dropped. But now I get it. Although, I still think Arlie was a bitch.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh I completely forgot about Arlie until I saw this! She was horrible, just horrible. Good times though.
ReplyDelete