Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Overheard in the Doctor's Office

Maybe we should switch to military time?
Patient: I had an appointment at 10 o'clock [it's 10:50], but I thought it was at 1 o'clock. Can the doc still see me?
Me: Well, the doctor has to be out of the office in just a little and he's already running behind so I don't believe it'll be possible for you to be seen today.
Patient: Well, I normally see the nurse, can she still see me?
Me: Well, she also has to be out of the office pretty soon, so I don't think there will be time to fit you in.
Patient: Well what do you want me to do?! DIE without my medication? [Yes, she said this.]
Me: I'm going to transfer you over to our scheduler and she can find a time for you to come in.
Patient: I THOUGHT my appointment was at 1! I didn't have my glasses on when I looked at my appointment card last night and I THOUGHT IT SAID 1! I didn't know it was at 10!
Me: I understand, it's just a mix-up, it happens all the time.
Patient: And now I'm getting punished for it. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT?!
Me: [Oh so patiently] I am going to transfer you to our scheduler. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment