Friday, May 7, 2010

Light at the End of the Cave

So I sent my dad an e-mail, this time pleading for more. I figured that might be a little vague, so I asked him to describe prison to me. This was the reply I got:
Melissa,
I was in prison 37 days! (from 3/11/1975 to 4/17/75). The time in prison was too hard for me! You have understand that, the prison of VC is the place in the forest, no house, no elctricity...no water...nothing else! VC kept me and about another thousand poeples in one small place! At night VC tied me up by telephone cord. Wake up in the morning, clothes got wet like taking a bath!
This story is very long...I can't resume in the one email. I hope someday, when you come back to Houston, I will translate (many details) from my book (more than 350 pages). OK?
I love you,
DAD.
Dissatisfied with so little information (especially after the e-mail I had gotten before) I told him there's no way I can wait until Memorial Day. (And also... I hope he doesn't plan on translating the whole 350 pages in person... in one sitting...) So I begged him for just a little. What it was like when he arrived in prison. I got my reply... which is a lot more like my long-winded father:
Melissa,
I understand...I obey...I try... But before I tell you about how they took me to prison, I thought that you have to understand the organization of The Republic of Vietnamese Government. The Regime that I served.
Viet Nam has 50 States (Province & City). I was Deputy Governer of 3 States. Quang Duc (1967), Cam Ranh (1968-1971), Darlac (1972-1975). My position was appointed by Prime Minister of Viet Nam Govenment.
VC attack Darlac April 10-1975, this is time I was in charge at Darlac Province. VC try take over Darlac, so that, VC try to capture any persons serving VN Government, I was one of them. ( I was the second person who had responsibility to manage Darlac Province ).
VC attack downtown of Darlac at 3:00AM on April 10/1975. Our family resided at the Administrative Headquarter! So that, at 6:10 AM, I order your Mom and all 6 kids, in a hurry get in the car to move out of the Ad 'Headquarter, I made that decision because I want to avoid the dangerous, anything can happen for our family.(easy to be kill by VC artillery). I believe that my Headquarter is the target of VC artillery.
About 6:30 AM, VC stop attack, Worry about safety of family, I drive government car to the place, where your Mom and your brothers, sisters living. Very lucky, All family still stay there safety.
At 7:00 AM, on the way returning to my Headquarte (only me). When I come close to Headquarter. one artillery bullet drop infronf of my car(about 10-15 feet). car stop engine, I was fling out of the car, Very fortune, some soldiers knew me. they brought me in the Military' Headquarter of Darlac Province.
At 10:30 , Military Headquarter was attack by artillery too heavy, I can't continue stay there, I have to get out as soon as posible. Do you know how can I get out Darlac military Headquarter under heavy artillery of VC? I ran, I crawled...I walked...(try to avoid VC artillery). During one half hour doing that, I reached the Headquarter of 23rd Division, (strong military place , strong-hold of Darlac Province). I stayed one night in the information cavern. Early morning April 11/1975,
at 7:00 AM, This cavern was destroyed by one big bomb! At that time, at least over 100 peoples in this cavern. I knew some of them die by bomb,some felf down and got hurt by strong soldiers step on !!! I am lucky because not fall down. I thought alway that all of us will die in this cavern because we did not know how to get out, how to survive!!! I close eyes and pray all the times! I stand there and waiting, but did not know what am I waiting for???
30 minutes late, suddenly, we hear the big shout: Having the light at the end of the cave!!! Now...We knew we are survivors.
But unfortunately, VC attack Headquarter by many different kind of weapen during our side have nothing to fight against VC. All of us have to escape by get out Headquarter immediately. Not all of us get out safety, some die, some got hurt...I got out safe with the Colonel Luat ( my Province Chief), Colonel Quang, (my former Chief at Cam Ranh in 1968-1971). After 3 hours got out of 23 rd Division Headquarter, VC find out the place we are camping, VC start attack us, We continue to run away, someone be kill, someone alive. Not long after that, I was captured by VC. From Darlac to the VC jail, I have walking 3 straight days+4 nights, no food, no water!!! I have only two chaces to drink water when I met the stream, We enjoy to drink even if good or bad water!!
Melissa...Ok for this time???
Love...Love,
DAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment