Thursday, May 6, 2010

Big Navy Ship: The USS Midway

So my sister Rachel wrote a little snippet on her blog about the US Carrier Ship the USS Midway. This ship apparently was crucial to my family's departure from Vietnam back in 1975. I read some articles on the ship and learned about some pretty heroic tales from Operation Frequent Wind (which, thanks to Lisa's initial interpretation, will always make me think of something ELSE first...) Anyway, they were very heartwarming and of course I sat and cried at my desk while reading them during my lunch hour (forgetting, by the way, to eat lunch). So I shot my dad a quick e-mail asking him for more details. I'm pretty ashamed of my little to no knowledge about my family's escape from Vietnam. Anyway, here was his reply. As usual, I haven't corrected anything and left typos, grammatical errors and all. I find it endearing and adorable, and... you should too.
Melissa... My smart and sweet Daughter,
Let me tell you litle bit about the way our family escaping from Viet Nam communist regime.
On April 14/1975. ( I make decision to escape by myself).Our Family left Banmethuat ( I was the deputy Governer of this Highland State), at 9: PM by car. (Mom & Dad + 6 childrens + uncle Khai + my friend Huy and his wife anh nephew of the man who let me use his car .Total 12 persons in the small car). We move to South area.(still in the Center of VietNam). Must understand that, this situation was very dangerous because if they find out, many chances, I will be kill!. How lucky, nothing bad happened to our family.
On April 15/1975, we left NhaTrang Provine (Center of VN) to Vung Tau City (South VN) by small boat! Total 28 persons on this small boat. We spent two days and one night on the sea, dangerous because this boat is easy to be sink by waves, by 'boat driver (engine-driver). (If he did not have enough experiences)! We arrived safety Vung Tau City on 4/18/75.
We stay at Vung Tau City from 4/18 to 4/27/1975, when VC (Viet Cong= Viet Communist) attack Long Thanh, the Town next to Vung tau, we have to go to the beach and get in another small boat in a hurry way to escape the attack of VC. They start to attack by artillery! About one hour late we left small boat again and come up the Viet Nam civil SHIP (name DaNang), This ship carried about 150 peoples.
We left Vung tau with the plan going direct to Singapore, but...Unfortunatly, when the ship get the international sea, Ship gat problem! (Ship can sink any time). We can not continue to go , the Sip'Commander made decision to returne to Vung tau. My GOD!!! We were very afraid! Someone...cry!!! Your Mom prays all the time! She ordered me anh your brothers, sisters to pray with her! Scare me because if returning to Vung tau, VC psesent there, Where can I go? Scare time prolonging more than 5 hours. How fortune, on the way back to Vung Tau, we met the Big Navy Ship of America. After two hour to find out who we are, the Commander of Big Navy Ship gave order to pick up all Vietnammeses to his Ship!
Thank GOD! Melissa, now you know, this big Ship is...The...MID WAY ...
Your Parents and your 6 Brothers and Sisters lived in there 3 days and 4 nights.
I will tell you more..OK.
DAD,
Vy
I love my dad.

And thank you Commander of Big Navy Ship... for saving my family. Now we know why my mom prays so much.

2 comments:

  1. The first line reminds me of something Oro would say. Your dad should have named one of the kids Usnavi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORB. I love your dad long time.

    ReplyDelete