Monday, April 2, 2012

Keys to Creativity

Reblogged from the original post from my nguyenning blog on Tang-Yaroo!
If you’re anything like me, you have random old keys on your keychain that serve no purpose.  You don’t even know from whence they came.  Instead of chucking them, here’s a much more fun alternative!
Oh and you get to use glitter!
…who doesn’t love glitter?!

I. Love. Glitter.
My sister shared with me an idea she found online about decorating her keys.  I’ve been meaning to do it for awhile, and while trying my best to do anything but actual work, I finally found the time to make them!  It was almost too easy.  So here’s the world’s easiest tutorial on DIY glitter keychains!
You only need a handful of things:
  • Keys!  (Old OR Current!)  In this tutorial, I will show you how to decorate one that you still currently use :)
  • Adhesive.  I use Mod Podge, because it’s cheap and there’s a lot and it works (for everything)!
  • Brush.
  • GLITTER!!!!!!!
Fun!
Here goes!
1. Spread the adhesive evenly over the portion that you want glitterfied (yes, it’s a word now).  I didn’t do it this time, but in the future, I’ll probably take a piece of tape to cover the “key” portion.  It’s not hard to avoid getting glue where you don’t want it, but safety never hurts, right?
Image
2. Sift your glitter of choice over the adhesive.  If you’re wondering why I have so much glitter, you can blame it on Martha Stewart and my sister.  My sister bought the world’s most beautiful set of glitter from the Martha Stewart EverythingCraftyisAwesomecollection.  I couldn’t commit to all the glitter for the price, but that’s OK!  I ran across this fun little package at Joann!  For 4.99 you can get a sample pack of 16 different colors!
Image
3. Tap off any additional, unnecessary glitter.  Allow the glitter to set in and dry.  After a few minutes, dab on some more adhesive.  This will ensure that the glitter won’t rub off on your hands when you use it.  Believe me, I currently have glitter… everywhere.  It’s just… all over the place.  This must be what it’s like to be her
Image
Annnnnnnnd you’re done!  :)  Like I said, you can just do the tops of your keys (this is a great alternative to the rubber thing you can put on the heads of your keys), or you can do the entire key!  I took my unusable keys (to Narnia?  I don’t know) and glittered the whole thing.  I will most likely stick them on a chain and wear them as pendants for a necklace.

ImageVoila!  The finished product!

Image
Glitter should be everywhere all day er’day. 


 If you end up making your own, post a picture of your finished product!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment