Thursday, November 17, 2011

So THAT'S what a book is for...

Today is a MOY (middle of the year) testing day aka Benchmark testing.  It's so the school knows how the kids are doing and whether or not they need to place the students in a remedial class--that kind of thing.

It follows pretty strict guidelines similar to TAKS.  It's taken pretty seriously.  After they are done testing, they're allowed to do 1 of 2 things:

1.  Read a book OR
2.  Put your head on your desk.

NOTHING ELSE.

No homework, no studying.  Even if it seems like it would be productive, they are not allowed to do anything else at all.  A lot of them were unprepared for this.  Thankfully the classroom I was in had a full class set of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and I was able to give it to many of the kids who were sitting staring off into space.  There were some other kids (a set of twins I like to call the Weasleys despite their lack of red hair) who just flat out refused and instead enjoyed staring at their classmates.  There was another set of books... something about The 7 Healthy Habits of Successful Teenagers... or something like that.  I handed them that book :)

30 minutes later (and I really can't blame them, it is 30 minutes later)... I saw how they were putting the Lewis Carroll books to use...

they were trying to balance it on the back of the head of one of the kids who were sleeping.

Oh 8th graders...

1 comment:

  1. Students are so creative. Anything to get out of doing what they are actually supposed to be doing.

    ...love it.

    ReplyDelete