Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer in [New York] City... Part 1

Regina Spektor said "Summer in the city means cleavage, cleavage, cleavage..." but for me, I think it was more "hot, humid, and sweaty." Actually, that was just the first day. :) The rest of the weekend (ESPECIALLY Sunday night) felt awesome.

This was my first big trip with any siblings since I was... 17? 7 years ago? Katie, Jon and I went to San Diego to visit Chi Tram, and then we all went to Vegas for a night. I was 17. In Vegas. Needless to say, Vegas wasn't that awesome. Not because it's not awesome, but because it has nothing to offer a 17 year old.

But New York City had plenty to offer this 24 year old. :) Lisa and I finally got to our hotel after the world's hottest cab ride (well, at that point, we THOUGHT it was the hottest cab ride). We knew when we were walking inside the... uhh... whatever the walkway that connects the plane to the gate is called... we knew when we were walking in __________ (name?) that it was going to be hot as HELL. According to my iphone it was about 5 degrees hotter than Austin. 5 Degrees! What?? Anyway, we get to our hotel after driving through Times Square (we stayed at the Times Square Westin). We walk into our hotel room and blasted the air. We also closed our curtains after our very disappointing view (we were right behind a billboard--suck). But, the beds looked cleaned and so did the rest of the room (and hey, at least we HAD windows--yeah, I'm looking at you New Orleans Pelham Hotel... I'm lookin' at you!) Then we set out. We made our way to the Time Warner Building/Mall what-have-you in Columbus Circle to eat at the Bouchon Bakery. On the way (with some strategic detours) we saw more Times Square, Rockefeller, Anthro (love love love), David Letterman (well, not HIM), and more Broadway theaters. I had a turkey pressed sandwich that was AWESOME! Lisa had the world's fluffiest, lightest, airy quiche.

Then we made our way down to the subway to head downtown towards some shops. We stopped inside The Strand Bookstore & ABC Home (zomg so beautiful). We walked and hung out in Washington Square for a little while (my feetsies needed some rest) and then headed down to Pearl Oyster Bar. Of all my meals in NYC this weekend, this was probably one of my faves. It was $11 Mussels in a wine, mustard and some kind of cream sauce. I expected a good portion (a good portion being about... 10-15 mussels). I EASILY got over 30 mussels. IT WAS SO GOOD! I couldn't believe it was only $11. The place was pretty small and tiny (reminded me much of the place LC and I got crepes at in the Montmartre area), but it was cozy and full of people (and life). Lisa had Bouillabaisse which was filled with about 1,000 different types of seafood/shellfish (aka Johnny's ultimate death). We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals, and then we headed out towards Magnolia Bakery (in a very roundabout way--but the cool thing is that we walked by the Jefferson Market Garden! This means nothing to most people, except austin SATC fans like us who thought, "That looks like the garden that Steve and Miranda didn't hate and got married in" and one short google later I found out--IT WAS!) Magnolia was adorable. I was too stuffed that night (and the next?) to eat my cupcake, but I did two days later and guess what--STILL EFFIN' GOOD.

Lisa and I ended up back in the hotel room and waited for Chi Thu to get in. She finally did, told us about the kid who asked his parents "Are we sleeping in trash?" and kept saying she wasn't hungry. She was. But somehow we fell asleep without her ever admitting she wanted to get something to eat.

And that, my friends, is all I can muster for my first day recap :)


Sweet NYC

1 comment:

  1. I WISH I COULD HAVE GONE.

    also, died laughing at the whole "johnny's ultimate death", and then laughed harder at the fact, that he would probably still want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete